Color Philosophy Inks

Prima has a brand new ink line called Color Philosophy. The colors are amazing and the selection of colors will keep you in crafting heaven.

My Prima Planner - In the Moment

Here is my "In the Moment" planner all dolled up for January.

Read More

My Prima Planners

Have you gotten your new My Prima Planner? They are absolutely amazing!

Frank Garcia's Memory Hardward

I created a lovely photo album using Prima's Memory Hardware journal. Click the "read more" tab to see the entire album.

Read More

Christine Adolph Stamps

I love to use stamping to add interest and texture to my crafting projects. I will be sharing my latest project using Prima's new Christine Adolph stamps.

Read More

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Graphic 45 Springtime Birdhouse


I am a bird lover to my core.  I have three beautiful birds and I adore them.  I have wanted to do a birdhouse project for months, but I could never seem to find the right design.  Hobby Lobby recently opened in my area so I went to check it out.  Low and behold, there it was!  My birdhouse!!!  I loved everything about it, the shape, size and color scheme. 

I love Graphic 45's "Once Upon a Springtime" collection.  The designs are soft and beautiful.  My favorite design element has to be the fairies.  

I wanted to make the back of the house just as special as the front.




This is how the birdhouse looked at the time of purchase.  I love this design!  This tutorial will take you through the steps I used to alter the house.  Since the house is not something that is commonly found, I will not give exact measurements.  But if you just happen to have a Hobby Lobby near you and you happen upon the house, just let me know and I will send you the exact measurements.

I started by taking measurements.  I still had to guesstimate when it came to the angles since they weren't exactly true. 

I cut my design from my patterned paper. 

A perfect fit, after quite a few adjustments. lol.  I cut two 2 1/2" strips of striped patterned paper to place on the lower sides of the front of the house. 

I cut these cute little stamps from my patterned paper.  I used them to place over the strips I added to the sides.

I cut quite a few designs using my patterned paper.  The fairies and bird had elements that needed a little bit of sparkle.  I used Stickles to add the sparkle, then I set them aside to dry.  I did this at the beginning of my project so they would have plenty of time to dry.

Next, I cut paper for the sides and back of the house.  These measurements were pretty easy since there weren't any fancy design elements to cut around.


Here is the front of the house.  Not too bad, but we need more! lol.

I used my Martha Stewart Crafts Vintage Floral punch to create a decorative border for my roof.

I cut them at a 45 degree angle, then trimmed before adhering to the house.

I love the way it turned out.  Here is my dried design element.  I attached it to the house using foam squares.

The flowers were cut from patterned paper and mounted on chipboard.  I mounted on chipboard for extra support to hold my fairy.

I used foam squares to adhere the fairy to the flowers.  I wanted lots of fun layers.


Here is a close up of the roof candy and the fairies.  I used a pearl pen to trim my roof decor and to add interest to the flourish around the opening.  I also added one of my favorite fairies just above the opening to the house. 

I used a file to smooth my circle.


I loved this little fairy listening to the frog plead his case. lol.  I cut them out and placed them on the back of the house.  I used beautiful rose ribbon to trim around the bottom of the house.  I really like the softness that was achieved.  Who wouldn't want to step onto this when leaving the house?



Patterned Paper:  Graphic 45 - "Once Upon a Springtime" 8x8 Pad , 12x12 Papers
Ink:  VersaMark Chalk Ink - Tea Leaves
Crystals:  Kaisercraft
Fabric Trim:  May Arts
Tools:  File Set - Basic Grey; Paper Trimmer - Fiskars; Martha Stewart Crafts Punch - Vintage Floral
Adhesives:  Tombo - Mono Liquid Glue, Scor-Tape
Pearl Pen - Viva (Ice White); Stickles - Ranger Ink (Icicle, Lime Green)

Thanks for joining me today. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions by clicking the "Contact" link at the top of the page.


13 comments:

Cassandra said...

Ow My God!! This is dreamy and beautiful! I can't think of any words good enough to describe how gorgeous this is Robin! Your work is beyond stunning! *hugz*

scrappygal said...

This is so gorgeous!! Love it!!

Chrissy said...

Spectacular bird house! And you make it look soooo easy!

Vicky Alberto said...

to DIE for project!

Shazi said...

What a pretty house! YOu did an awesome job in it

~Melissa~ said...

Stunning!! You did an awesome job!! I always love all your work!! I just became a follower!!

Come check out my blog : http://melissavettorel.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

Are ya kidding me?! O.M.G. I'm going to email you with my home address right now!! You are the QUEEN!!!! *handing you your crown* LOL Seriously Robin, this is gorgeous. You are a phenom!

Anonymous said...

This is so incredibly beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.

Dorothy C.

Sasha said...

Beautiful!!! I can tell that lots of TLC has gone into this project, but it was well worth it!!

debbiebakk said...

I too love and collect( and paint my own) birdhouses- but this is just georgous love it all and the fairies are just the right touch spectaluar job on this

LISA said...

All I can say is that I am blown away. I collect the big Birdhouses...Oh boy...This is truly inspiring!! Beautiful!!

Dakota Bear said...

This is breathtakingly beautiful. I came to your blog from your cousin Cheryl's blog and I'm so glad that I did. I am now a follower.

Dakota Bear said...

I should have said your cousin Crystal.