Color Philosophy Inks

Prima has a brand new ink line called Color Philosophy. The colors are amazing and the selection of colors will keep you in crafting heaven.

My Prima Planner - In the Moment

Here is my "In the Moment" planner all dolled up for January.

Read More

My Prima Planners

Have you gotten your new My Prima Planner? They are absolutely amazing!

Frank Garcia's Memory Hardward

I created a lovely photo album using Prima's Memory Hardware journal. Click the "read more" tab to see the entire album.

Read More

Christine Adolph Stamps

I love to use stamping to add interest and texture to my crafting projects. I will be sharing my latest project using Prima's new Christine Adolph stamps.

Read More

Friday, April 8, 2011

So Proud to Be! - Graphic 45 Design Team!


Hello everyone!  If this is your first visit, I would like to welcome you warmly and thank you for coming to spend some time with me.  Today I was honored to be introduced on the Graphic 45 blog as one of the new 2011 Design Team members. I am still floating around on a cloud and I still can’t believe I am a part of this amazing group of talented artists.  I am proud to finally share my final round submission projects with you. 



My first project is my card submission. I absolutely love this image. I think I have cut out this lovely lady three times for three different projects. You will definitely see her again soon.  I usesd the Curtain Call 8x8 paper pad to create this card.  I cut my focal image from a 12 x 12 page so the image would stand out.


I knew I wanted her to be my focal point. The pose just screams “celebration!” This is the perfect birthday card for the woman who is happy-go-lucky and free spirited. I think of my mom and I can imagine her striking this exact pose!
This is the inside of my card where I also used the beautiful Curtain Call 8x8 paper pad.  The new Graphic 45 stamps are amazing and I used one here to create this beautiful image above my sentiment. 

Next is my layout submission, "Remember."

Final Round Submission – Layout – “Remember”
 I used the Steampunk Debutante collection to create this colorful vintage layout featuring my aunt and great aunt. I love this photo from 1942 which shows the love my great aunt (my grandmother’s youngest sister) had for my aunt. The baby in the photo has just reached the age of 70 and my great aunt is in her late 80’s! They are both still beautiful!

My next project involved altered record album covers.
I used two album covers which I taped together with heavy black tape.  I painted the covers black to match my papers.  I added Prima crystals and flowers, feathers and Graphic 45 metal flowers.


I stamped the metal flowers using Staz On ink.  Staz On works beautifully on metals.  The title was cut using a Quickutz monogram and lettering.

I used Spellbinders scalloped squares to mount my photos of Billie. 


There is a great artist at my local scrapbook store, Scrapbooks Plus, named Sue Bambrough. Her creativity is beyond compare and I always marvel at the projects she creates. There was this one project she created using two record album covers to create an album. I wanted to take her class, but I wasn’t able to make the date. I can only hope I have made her proud with my version of her masterpiece. Sue, you are a true inspiration and I hope to be just like you when I grow up!

I really wanted my altered project to have meaning. I connect to these papers on a personal level and I wanted that to show in my work. I decided to pay tribute to the great Billie Holiday. Although she had a tumultuous life, that did not stop her from becoming one of the greatest jazz voices of all time.

I wanted to showcase her true beauty and vulnerability so I searched for photos of her that have rarely been seen.




Here is the opened album. I used the beautiful Curtain Call collection because This page with the her signature gardenia is one of my favorites. I bought a typewriter…yes, they still make them…to type my journaling onto a small journaling tag. I didn’t want to run the risk of the tag getting stuck in my laser printer. I thought of the typewriter idea at the last minute and had it shipped overnight. It arrived on Thursday and I had to send off my project the next day! Big shout out to Amazon.com!

The Maya Road sentiments were the perfect addition for this album. Billie’s real name was the same as my aunt, Eleanora Fagan, what a coincidence! While I was reading her history, I knew this project was meant to be! I decided to use “E is for elegant” to represent her real first name and “B is for beautiful” to represent her stage name.

On the right side of the album, I share a bit of her history and showcase a few of her album covers. I used my stencil from The Crafter’s Workshop to create decorative pockets to hold my layouts.

The record album covers hold two 12x12 pages which are also double sided layouts.  To ensure that each page would fit into the covers,  I had to be careful when applying 3-D embellishments and heavy florals.  Each page has a decorative tassel with a music note attached.  The tassel allows you to easily pull the page from the album.

Here are the front and back of my first page.   It is as if Graphic 45 designed this paper just for me...just for this project. 
On my second double sided page I showcase more beautiful photos of this great vocalist as well as a listing of some of her most popular recordings.  The reverse side features a photo of Billie during a recording session. I would have loved to be there to see it.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I really wanted to share everything with you. 

Thanks for joining me today. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions by clicking the "Contact" link at the top of the page.

10 comments:

Fran Brunke said...

What an awesome tribute to Billie H. and to your mother. Robin, your artistry and your passion for this project just reach right off the pages into the heart. Inspiration Plus. G45 chose well!

Evelyn S. said...

I found your blog through the Graphic 45 blog....you are truly amazing!! Beautiful, beautiful work. I'm glad to be a follower!

Nancy Wethington said...

Beautiful designs! And that album is to-die-for gorgeous.

jude said...

Your work is truly amazing and absolute joy to come and visit!
hugs have fab weekend
Judex :)

Tiffany said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I was looking at the Graphic 45 site today, and I saw their blog post on you with your beautiful artwork. I absolutely love everything you submitted to them, and I can see why they chose you! I searched your name on Google, and that's how I found your blog. I was hoping that you had one :).

I'll be back to visit again. I'm relatively new to the blog/crafting world, but Robin, you have one of the prettiest, most professional looking blogs I've ever seen. And your work is just superb. BRAVO ON EVERYTHING!

Candy C said...

Beautiful beautiful work! No wonder you are on Graphic 45's design team! Your designs are so elegant and beautifully done! A good friend and a new fellow G45 design team member, Nancy Wethington put me on to your blog. :) <3 Candy

Melanie said...

Just so simply wow!!! Love your work and I can seriously see why they chose you :)

Sharon Sutton said...

You did a beautiful job!

Coco Martha and Mimi Boutique said...

Wow...Wow...Wow... your work is awesome! I hope G45 comes out with a BH paper stack! Lovely work!

Pauline S said...

Robin, this is Fantastic, love all your work. This is so FAB